In an attempt to make sense of the
atrocious working conditions I saw on the videos of workersin the
multinational factories in Tijuana, and the Disney factories in Haiti, I broke
down the two opposing forces: profits verses people.
It was heartbreakingly clear that the companies
involved had only been concerned with profits.
They have shown no concerns for the wellbeing of the humans who make the
products that renders their profits. That is exploitation, short and simple.
The companies that take their
manufacturing to countries outside of the United States have an opportunity to altruistically
contribute to the world as well as make corporate profits. Yet, they do not. Once
again, we see the age-old battle of good and evil… profits (reads money) verses
valuing human beings.
I learned a long time ago that you do
not know someone (in this case, a company) by what they say, rather the truth
of who they are will be found in what they do. After viewing the video Mickey Mouse Goes to Haiti, I know a lot
more about the corporate character of Disney.
No comments:
Post a Comment